Thursday, August 29, 2013


Why do you want to become a full time RV'er



There can be many reasons for becoming a full timer. More reasons than can be listed here I'm sure. My reason, I've recently had my life put into perspective. My dad passed away this past February. He smoked for most of his life and cancer finally took his life. He also had suffered 2 heart attacks last year. I'm embarrassed to say it took his illness to convince me to quit smoking and try to change my life. I only hope it's not to late for me.

I've tried to work hard all of my life and do what was expected of me. But I've never taken the time to smell the roses as they say. I've had the career and house and cars but for what? The economy goes down the tubes and you are left holding the bag. I was lucky as a child, my family lived in California (dad was in the navy then) all of my aunts, uncles, and grandparents were back east in Kentucky.

So Mom and Dad would drive us cross country each year to visit family. We would take a different route each trip.

One year we would go north and see Mt. Rushmore. Next year we would drive south and see the Grand Canyon. The next time we drove straight across the middle and saw everything they could find for us to stop and see. I didn't realize it then but we were getting a heck of an education. I want to see all of that again and then some. I want to stand at the rim of the Grand Canyon and look down at the hugeness of it all. I want to see the balloon fest in Albuquerque, to go panning for gold out west, the Alamo in Texas, I want to stand at Mt. Rushmore again, see Graceland in Tennessee. I want to visit as many Civil War battlefields as I can.

The bottom line is I don't want life to pass me by anymore. So I'm taking steps to prepare myself for this next stage in my life. I'm ready to sell it all, work for minimum wage and for camp site. I really want to do and see these things again.

To do all of this I need to prepare as much as possible, not only by getting rid of as much debt as I can. Selling everything and quitting my job, but I need to get myself as healthy as possible. Prescription drugs cost a lot of money and getting them filled on the road can be quite a challenge, I'm guessing. So we are beginning to eat better, take care of ourselves so we can cut out the blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Besides feeling better and being healthier our budget takes a little cut so the savings from medicine can go into some other line item which reduces stress and makes you feel better.

So getting to see this great country, getting healthier, and saving money.

I call that a Win Win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment