Thursday, January 30, 2014

Choices, What's Important To You


   We went to our last RV show this past weekend in Atlanta. I say last because I really don't think I can take one more. They say RVing is supposed to be relaxing, what they don't tell you is all the hassle you have to deal with to get to the relaxing part. The parking, the crowds and the salespeople you have to put up with.

    We at least narrowed our choice down to three that we really like, I mean I could live in any of these three when the time comes so if one is not available when we are ready hopefully another will be. Or we could be right back at square one. Who knows? Don't get me wrong, all of the RV's we've looked at have their good points and not so good points. I'm beginning to see the RV lifestyle is made up of trade offs. Bigger bedrooms mean more clothes storage which is important. But on the other hand large living rooms mean you can spread out more. After all that's where you will be spending most of your awake time, unless you are outside.
   Of course the kitchen has been discussed more than I want to admit here but I guess I should. Barb is all about needing more counter space, I keep asking why and she keeps trying to explain. I still don't see it. But since some strange woman at the show felt she needed to voice her opinion about OUR kitchen needs and why the ovens in these things are never big enough, (what does oven size have to do with counter space?) I guess I just give up, My dad told me always pick your battles. Kitchen counters don't seem that important to me.

    Now if you're talking cabinet space in the kitchen, well that's a whole other story. I don't want to be running out to the basement every time Barb wants to make chilli or stew to get the big pot that has to live in the basement because there is no room inside to keep it. So listen up here, cabinet space is or should be a high priority for storing pots and pans. Don't forget about the pantry. You don't want to go loading up the pantry with six months worth of can goods. Here's a FYI for you, The average weight of a can of lets say green beans or corn is 16oz. So for every four cans in your pantry you've added one pound. Weight in a RV can be a dangerous thing so shop accordingly. Just so you know keep heavy items (like can goods) low so your weight distribution is as good as possible.

    Another important choice I see is space and storage in the bathroom. First, let's talk about the shower. I do not want to spend my time in the shower banging my elbows in a too tiny shower stall. Now storage, every RV we have been in had a medicine cabinet large enough to handle the needed items like toothpaste, deodorant, medicine and other common bathroom cabinet items. Not true for other storage. You still need space for towels, wash cloth's, toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Now a lot of these things can find a home in the bedroom closet but now where do you keep your clothes. You can try under the bed but that's where you keep your winter clothes and a host of other things you need to have on hand.

    Now don't get me wrong, there is space in your RV. You just need to learn how to utilize it to best suit your lifestyle. Also don't forget you have a basement storage area underneath. Most basements are about 160 cu. ft. of storage and can hold a bunch of things. So keep that in mind.

    Anyway, we have narrowed our choices down to just a few and still have time to refine the list or change it completely by the time we are ready to get on the road. Just keep in mind you have a lot of choices in RV's and what kind of storage they have. I guess I'd say just think about how you live now and try to use that as a gauge or how you will live on the road.

Safe travels and I'll see you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment