Thursday, May 22, 2014

Tools


Two weeks ago I wrote about my tools and what needed to go on the road with us and what could be purged along with tons of other things. I'm struggling with what to take and how much it all weighs. Well last week I took the scales down to the garage and weighed everything. It seems I'm already at 260 pounds and I'm still not done. Guess I need to take another look at what all I'm taking.

From the many internet sites I've looked at here is a list of tools you might find helpful when traveling in your RV. This is by no means a complete list and you might want to delete or add some other tools.

Screwdrivers, Phillips and slotted several sizes of each.
A good selection of Robertson and Torx Bits
Cordless Drill/Driver
Nut Drivers
Adjustable Wrenches a 6”, 8”, and 10” should do
A set of Open End/ Box Wrenches
Vise Grips small and large
Pliers regular and needle nose small and large
Socket Set
Soldering Iron
Assorted Connectors
Fuses
Multi Meter
Several 120 Ext. Cords
Replacement Bulbs, think about switching to LED
Water Heater Element and Deep Socket
Teflon Tape
Plumbers Putty
Utility Knife
Hack Saw
Small Hand Saw
Small Pruning Saw
Wire Brushes assorted sizes
Wire Strippers, some spools of 12v and 120v wire
Ty Wraps
Duct Tape
Gorilla Tape
Elect. Tape
A/C Duct Tape
Silicone for sealing leaks
Caulking Gun
Rivet Gun and assorted rivets
Flash Light
Level 6” and 2'
Shovel
Axe
Rake
Assorted Nuts, Bolts, and Screws

Remember only you know what you'll feel comfortable traveling with and if you'll really need some of these things. I like to follow the Boy Scout Motto “Be Prepared” but you also have to be aware of weight. That's where I'm at now. Like I said earlier, my tools weight 260 pounds at this time so I'm not sure to purge some or just go with what I've got. Anyway I've added two really good videos I think will help anybody make up their mind.

I will say two very good videos I've watched about tools on the road is Tools and Maintenance Items for the Full Time RV Life by Ray at Love your RV  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAJXK8Gwt8
and An RV technicians guide to the Best Tools for an RV by Chris Dougherty.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9ozNqG6m


                        Safe Travels and I Hope To See You Down The Road

No comments:

Post a Comment